Monday, August 4, 2014

July Whereabouts

July was all about being outside for the Johnsons.  In fact, there are only a few pictures of the indoors included in this post (and they were for a good reason!).
We haven't had a long stretch of really hot weather here in Iowa yet, just 2 days at the most.  Maybe that's coming our way in August, we'll see.  There were even many COOLER days that felt unseasonable.  This all makes it really hard for me to believe that July is already over and August has begun.  Here's what we were up to in July...
I found a really great deal on a patio table at Target and we have enjoyed many meals and activities on the deck.  I bought a few learning activities for Lainey and I to do together since she and I usually have at least a good 1-2 hours to ourselves in the morning before Wyatt wakes up.  She is loving it.  I, on the other hand, love it too but it has tested my patience in incredible ways.  There was a reason I chose to teach upper elementary.  As you can see, she's over the moon proud of herself.
Most evenings we meet Daddy outside when he pulls in.  Lainey's been practicing riding her bike more and more.
You know how you "pin" all of those great ideas on Pinterest but you rarely follow through with them?  At least, that's how it is for me.  This one was a fun one thought we'll definitely do again.  Sidewalk Paint is 1 part corn starch, 1 part water and then a few drops of food coloring.  I NEVER let Wyatt do crafty things because they always end up in his mouth or on the floor but he had a BLAST with this.  They started painting the sidewalk, then went on to decorating the rocks in the landscaping.
Wyatt has indeed mastered the "cheese"... and being ridiculously adorable.

The highlight of July for Lainey was Princess Camp.  I signed her up for this 2x/week for 2 weeks dance and gymnastics camp to see how she'd do and how she'd like it because we had talked about enrolling her in a dance class in the fall.  Turns out, she loved it.  She wasn't always super keen about me leaving but every time I picked her up and peaked through the little viewing window she was having an absolute blast.  There's just something about watching your child enjoy something, all on their own, apart from you and having so much fun.  It was so great and a little bittersweet.  I'll be the first to admit I don't love being away from my kids.  I was so thankful she loved it since dance was a huge part of my life growing up.
Each day included a different Princess.  Let's just say she loved that!
She was beyond excited to put that leotard on for each day of camp.
What says "summer in Iowa" more than sweet corn?!?  We've gotten it twice now and each time it's delicious!
We've enjoyed discovering and exploring so many new parks this summer.  I can't say for sure since I don't know much about other big cities parks and rec systems, but Des Moines has really gotten it right.  There are TONS of parks with family friendly features for all ages ALL over in different metro neighborhoods.  We never have to drive very far to find a new adventure.  This picture above was from McHenry park on the north side.  There was a fun splash pad and a little man made creek.
We had a great time with some friends at the Indianola Balloon Classic.  There's something magical about hot air balloons!  The kids loved it and we had a great time.
Since it's August now, there are really only a few more weeks to enjoy pools and splash parks since school starts soon here.  We are going to take advantage every chance we get.  This particular day we went to "tot time" at the Indianola Pool with a few friends and it was so great!
Lainey's turned in to such a little fish.  I love watching her enjoy the water.  I don't usually get any pictures of Wyatt because most of the time I'm chasing him down.  He likes to explore everything BUT the water usually.

Loved sharing the summer fun in July with my family!  Looking forward to one more month of summer, then my absolute favorite is just around the corner... FALL!

No comments:

Post a Comment