Monday, August 1, 2011

Another (super fun) project

Curiosity is a funny thing. A few weeks ago, Jed kept saying, "I wonder what is underneath our carpet." We live in a pretty old house, built in 1925, and most homes this age have or had hardwood floors. When we bought the house, they had just put in all new flooring throughout. Nice plush carpet, new shiny linoleum, etc. After making this statement a few times over the next week or so, Jed decided he was going to pull up a corner of carpet in one of the bedrooms just to see what he could find. Upon his discovery, he exclaimed with joy, "Babe! You've gotta come look at this!"

Hardwood floors. Nice ones.

Mind you, this discovery came while I was 35 or 36 weeks pregnant. Call me a pessimist, but my mind immediately went to all of the nesting and cleaning and organizing I'd been pouring myself into and that it would be completely destroyed and need to be REdone if Jed pulled up the carpet. I just smiled and said, "Not today, Jed, not today."

Well, Sunday, we didn't really have anything going on all day and Jed thought he'd try his hand at this again. Call me crazy, but I agreed, even at 39 weeks and 4 days pregnant, just 3 days away from my due date. He had to agree to COMPLETELY put everything back in it's place and clean whatever needed to be REcleaned. I did end up helping some, but just because I wanted to. What can I say? I love vacuuming, especially with a powerful ShopVac. The whole project took from about 11 AM until 6 PM or so and I only had to do a minimal amount of the picking up and cleaning thanks to my hardworking husband.

Jed is THRILLED with how it turned out. Simon is depressed at the loss of the carpet and struggles when we play fetch with his rope or tennis ball in the house - it's just too slippery! I feel bad for the poor little guy! I think it looks great though and am excited to find a nice area rug for the middle of the room so little baby J has somewhere to lay and crawl around (if he or she ever arrives).

Here are some before, during and after photos of the project!




No comments:

Post a Comment