Tuesday, October 18, 2011

2 months old!


Lainey turned 2 months old last Wednesday! I know EVERYONE says this (and when you hear it so often it becomes almost meaningless)... but I truly cannot believe how fast the past 2 months have gone. All of the new things Lainey can do are amazing (you know, walking, talking, etc... :). Her smiles and the chats we have on her changing table just melt my heart! She LOVES to be held out so she can see what's going on in the world around her. I think she just realized we have a Simon running around the house because her eyes have started to follow him every once in awhile. She's a champ at holding her head up and has started wanting to be held to stand up and put pressure on her feet and stomp them up and down. She LOVES watching the birds twirl above her head when laying in her swing and also likes sitting in her bouncy seat while I'm in the kitchen. She is now an expert at bringing her hand or hands to her mouth and sucking on them or sticking them in there... Momma does NOT like this habit!
Many of you have asked about my cloth diaper adventure. I first read about cloth diapers here and here on the blog Young House Love. I found it so fascinating! Cloth diapering is like an entire different world and people who cloth diaper LOVE to write about it on the interwebs. There is SO much information out there... from brands of diapers, to washing machines, to detergents, to storage systems, etc. you can find a review of nearly every product that has to do with cloth diapering. Thank you, Google. I mentioned the idea to Jed and he thought it was a great one, which surprised me... but, Jed's all about saving money! One of the main reasons I wanted to look into cloth diapering was to save money. When we decided that I would be a stay at home mom, we did the math and realized it didn't pay very well! :) Cloth diapers require a bit of an investment up front but some websites claim it can cost upwards of $1,500 to $2,000 to use disposable diapers for one child depending on when you potty train. So, I decided to keep researching. I mentioned my research to a co-worker at school who was expecting a baby and found out she was planning on cloth diapering! She was a great resource for me - we had a great time talking about diapers, of all things. Over the summer before Lainey was born, we got together and she showed me her system and explained how it worked. I talked with Jed and we decided to give it a go. So far, I have bought 2 kinds of diapers, Sunbaby and Flip - I really like them both. We were blessed to get TONS of disposable diapers from baby showers before Lainey was born and lots of cloth diapers don't necessarily fit newborns (although Lainey was big enough, I probably could have tried) so for the first 6 weeks, Lainey was in disposable diapers. I don't have enough of a stash for Lainey to be in cloth diapers 100% of the time yet and I'm not sure if she ever will be, as there are definite times when disposables are much more convenient (traveling, quick diaper changes while out and about, etc) but so far it is going pretty well. It is relatively manageable and not all that much extra work. I feel like I'm doing laundry all of the time anyway, so doing an extra load of diapers every other day isn't that much more work. I was worried it'd be gross... but it's really not any more gross than dealing with dirty disposables. Breastfed baby poo is completely water soluble. Things will be a bit different when she's eating solid foods but we'll cross that bridge when we get there. The diapers get washed twice each time with extra rinses during each wash and so I'm not concerned about my washing machine (many websites suggest doing a "washing machine wash" every once in awhile too). PLUS, they are REALLY cute on her little 2 month old bum. So, so far, so good! I'd love to share more about this with any of you that want to know but for now, I'll leave you with one more picture of my sweet 2 month old babe!

No comments:

Post a Comment