Thursday, April 24, 2014

Mom Milestones

I'm blogging about this for my own memory and maybe for Wyatt too since this is my ongoing baby/family book...

Monday night I got to experience one of those "mom milestones" ... one of those events you know is most likely coming eventually some day but you're never quite prepared for.  In almost 3 years of being a mom, I'm INCREDIBLY thankful that our kids have been relatively healthy.  A few colds, ear infections, etc. but nothing serious.  

Monday night I put Wyatt to bed around 8:30 and almost 11 I heard a really funny (what I assumed to be) cry coming from his room.  He's usually a really sound sleeper so after listening for a few moments, I thought it sounded odd so I went up to check on him.  I went in to pick him up and he was extremely upset and between the crying, I could hear a sharp, barking cough and he was having a hard time inhaling to breathe.  I knew right away that this was not good, it's extremely frightening when your child can't breathe.  I brought him downstairs and pretty much immediately we decided I needed to take him to the ER (hence the mom milestone).  

I drove as safely and quickly as I could, trying to keep an eye on him in the back seat.  He settled down quite a bit in the car but I could still tell his breathing was labored when he'd try to make noise, the sharp barking sound would come out again.  We got checked in and seen really quickly.  Both the nurse and the doctor were confident right away that Wyatt had croup.  
Sweet boy.  I didn't even put shoes or socks on the poor kid, we just left the house so quickly!
I got nervous at first because when I had croup when I was young, I was hospitalized for a few days.  They gave him an oral steroid which seemed to help so they let us go home relatively soon after and told me some things to watch for over the next few days.  What was so crazy to me was that he was just FINE all day Monday.  Totally fine.  No symptoms, nothing!  It hit the poor guy so quickly.

I could NOT keep him contained in that exam room for very long.
After being out and about until after 1 AM, my little sleepy head slept in until 10:30 the next morning.  We've spent the past few days hanging out at home while he gets better.
Lainey had all kinds of sweet snuggles, hugs and kisses for her brother.  
"Lay off Sis, let me watch Frozen in peace!"

I want to also add that I felt like we were really taken care of at the Mercy ER.  The pediatric ER department even called me a few days later to see how Wyatt was doing.  I'm sure this is standard protocol, but I thought that was really above and beyond their job!

Wyatt has been recovering well and he's feeling much better  I'm thankful God was really protecting him and that it wasn't something more serious!  As "pleasant" as our visit to the ER was, I am hoping I won't need to make another trip there any time soon!

1 comment: